Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Almost there

This week has been so great. It has been so nice being home with Maddie and getting somewhat back to our normal routine. I haven't been able to go to the pool yet since surgery, but I'm getting my stitches out tomorrow, so hopefully after that, I'll be able to lather up some sun screen and go for a dip.

Not to be a broken record, but even though the Thyroid surgery and recovery was tremendously successful, It messed up progress on my ear. My Dr. and I both think that from all the stress my body went through and all the swelling and extra fluids they pumped in me, caused my Meniere's to "flair up". I had to see my ear Dr. yesterday. I was there from 2:00 pm till 4:30 pm. And it takes me 30 min to get there, so I was gone for a long time. He had me do a hearing test again and it seems my hearing is back to were it was before surgery about 60% hearing loss (not permanent, but only due to swelling in my inner ear) and he gave me a steroid shot in my ear too. That helped, but the shot only seems to last for about 24 hrs, then I'm back to were I was. With all this new pressure and swelling in my ear, I'm terrified of having more episodes, since that's how they always start. I'm praying that when my swelling from my last surgery goes down, my ear will go back to normal. If not, we will need to be talking about plan B, which could potentially mean surgery #2 on my ear. There is no cure for Meniere's Disease which makes it rough. All we can do is preventatives to keep my ear from swelling. The positive side is that IF I need surgery #2, it should be free since we have met our total out of pocket for this year.

Sometimes I feel like I should find a Menieres support group or something. Like an AA. I'm the only one I know that has this, and since I look fine, you cant tell that I'm not feeling fine. When my ear is swollen, I hear loud ringing, I cannot hear when people talk to me and it hurts to be in large crowds. I am also deathly afraid of having episodes, because at this point I have to take heavy drugs and sleep all day long and wait for the dizziness to go away. Which makes me ask, What do I do with Maddie when this happens? And I do not want to get to the point were I cannot hold down a job, or be unreliable to people just because of this. I know that its something I'm going to have to live with. But I also know that God wont let me go through anything I cannot handle. And if not me, then someone else right? Might as well be me were I know I have a loving God who is here with me and a large support from my family. People may not understand this disease, or may even think I'm being a hypochondriac, but at least I have a FABULOUS Dr. and a wonderful family who is there to help when ever needed.

But as of now, I believe with this 115 degree weather, I'm taking Maddie to the pool tomorrow. I hope October gets here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment