Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Recovery

I had my surgery yesterday, the second major surgery I have had in the past 5 months that where completely unrelated to each other. Since all this, we have met our total out-of-pocket expenses with our insurance, so Brian and I joke around that we are trying to think of other things I could get done before the end of the year. Will our medical insurance cover a tummy tuck? Or is that considered cosmetic? hm.....something to think about!

Everything went well. I was at the same surgery center I was at last time, and funny thing was that I had the same nurses that were with me before and during surgery both times! They obviously didn't remember us, but Brian and I had a good laugh about it.

This surgery was a lot more invasive then my ear surgery, requiring more time and two doctors, however, it seems that the recovery experience has been a lot better. Probably because with my ear surgery, my inner ear was swollen and I couldn't hear and it was VERY painful. With this one, it is quite painful, its hard to swallow and it feels like someone punched me in the chest, but, unlike the first one, I feel like I can be mobile. At least for a while. I don't feel so bound to laying in bed all day long. So, that has been a positive.

I have a huge scar around my neck, but I have heard from numerous people that it will be barely noticeable. I went to the Dr. today to get the drain taken off and he said that he made the incision on one of the neck creases, so when it heals it will be less noticeable as well. He also said that while he was in surgery he could tell that the the growth I had was in fact benign (otherwise he would have taken the whole thyroid) and while I was in his office, his nurse came in and gave him the pathology report to confirm it was in fact benign. It has a specific name but I cant remember it. He said that you may see this kind of growth a lot in impoverished countries were people have giant tumors sticking out of their necks because it does not stop growing. He said that mine was the same and that even if I hadn't had removed it now, it would have had to come out sooner or later. And now I am glad it was sooner.

I get to go back next week to get the stitches removed, then in 6 weeks I'll get blood work done on my hormone levels to make sure half of the thyroid is producing enough. I also have to keep an eye on the other nodule I have on the left side, but the Dr. said he wasn't concerned. I just have to make a point to have it checked once a year.

I hope this is the last for me as far as health issues. At least for a long while. I don't feel like they were major health issues, but they have required a LOT of work and energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment