Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March of 2011

So, to be quite honest, probably more for my memory sake then anyone else's, these past four - five weeks have been like hell. But, let me back up. Maddie's birthday is on the 1st, which will always be something to look forward to, and not to mention my own, a mere 20 days later, which I have ALWAYS told Brian and much to his joy and delight, we get celebrate my birthday MONTH, instead of just the one special day, so I have always enjoyed the month of March. My mom's birthday is the day after, mine so March has become quite a family affair.
However, a few weeks, ago, the 8th of February to be exact, something all to familiar, however, but, to a much larger scale happened. I got dizzy. It was a Tuesday morning, I was at preschool, about to get my day started when a dizzy spell occurred. I have had vertigo pretty much all my life, and its typical for me to have a dizzy spell about once or twice a year, (sometimes more and way more when I was preg.) But it was never to terrible. All I had to do was take some motion sickness meds, take a nap, then I would wake up and feel better.
I had seen an ENT about it about a year ago, he did some testing and said I probably had Meniere's disease, and the permanent swelling/hearing loss I have been having in my right ear would come and go. Ok, so fine then, there was nothing I could do? NOPE. That's what he said. Steroid nose spays worked a little, the swelling/hearing loss was still there, but hey, at least I wasn't getting dizzy, and was able to go on living a normal functioning busy life, with the occasional dizzy spell every once in a while. I could live with that.
However on this dreadful day of February 8th, in the mid preschool morning, I had to leave Maddie at school (fortunetly) and drive home as fast as I could to get the motion sickness meds I had and lay down. Well, this time, that didnt work. To spare anyone from grotesque details, I got so sick, I got dehydrated, Brian had to come home from work and take me to the hospital.
Once there, they got me fixed up, but woe and behold, Wednesday night it happened again and I had to go BACK to the ER on Thursday morning. Nothing was working.
The second time I went to the ER I went to Allen Presby where we knew of an EXCELLENT ENT (Dr. Champion) with an office on the second floor, (who is not even taking new patients, she's so busy) and prayed to GOD HARD that she would be happen to make her rounds and see me for Vertigo. It was truly a God story that she came into my room because ENT's NEVER come down to see ER patients.
She talked to me a little and had her office call me in for an appointment THAT SAME WEEK! AMAZING! She confirmed that I had Meniere's and immediately had her office call another AMAZING audiologist (Dr. Hahn) in Dallas who specializes in Menieres. Who would have thought there was such a thing? I could have had this taken care of an ENTIRE YEAR ago!
I get an appointment with him the next week, and AGAIN he confirms I have Meniere's. He explains to me that for some reason, no one knows, but there is swelling (or pressure) going on in my inner ear. Inside the inner ear there are two sacks of liquids (I cant remember, you can google it if your interested) that should NOT mix. However, when there is pressure, the liquids mix, hence, the permanent hearing loss and dizziness.
I was SO glad I got to see him as early as I did and get some clarification on what is going on. A week later he did a test to see how great of a pressure is in my ear and it was quite significant. (not to mention while in his office I got sick and he was able to see the intensity of my attacks. Informative for him, embarrassing for me.) He was quite concerned about the hearing loss I have already suffered. (I'm more concerned about not getting dizzy anymore)
So, without any other considerations as to what the next step should be, he highly recommended surgery. So, I will be having my only second surgery of my life (If you count a C-Section) on March 16th at 7:00 a.m. to remove a portion of my mastoid? bone. I believe that's what he's removing. By removing the bone around the sacks of fluid, that will allow the pressure to still form, however have room to expand, and not be confined by bone.
At first I was dreading the thought of having to have surgery, but my attacks these past few weeks have been more frequent and more severe. I have not been able to do ANYTHING, since all I can do when it happens, is take LOADS of prescriptions and sleep. Which I know puts a lot of pressure on Brian, and Maddie is always asking "where's mommy" :(
Last Saturday night, I felt AWFUL, I was completely exhausted from all the meds that make you SO drowsy, but I wasn't dizzy, and I wanted to do something fun. So Brian was a sweetheart and took me shopping at the Allen Outlet Mall and then Cheescake Factory for diner.
I have also been medicating on new shoes from DSW (I got a birthday coupon in the mail)
A new bra and panties from VS, that I confiscated coupons addressed to my sister, and a new make-up back from Vera Bradley (which I also got to use a birthday coupon!)
I cannot wait until the 16th, and I am praying I have no more episodes. Yours would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Tomorrow I will recount Maddie's 3 year well check-up, where Brian found my jewelry and her first Ballet class! AAWW! :)







2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Dr Champion. She refereed me for a hole in my ear drum five years. I had complications a few months ago, she got me in same day. She is wonderful! I'm glad your'e in such good hands. We'll be praying for your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you'd been so sick. I hope things go well and you'll be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete