Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Design center

Today was the day I've been looking forward to for about 3 weeks! I couldn't wait! Today Brian and I got to go to the design center for our house.
We started the day by dropping Maddie off at preschool and driving down to Grapevine where we would be picking out everything for our house. Reese went with us and surprisingly, she did ok playing in the stroller while we talked.
The design center was SO FUN! We had a two hour block for picking house things, then we had another two hour block for picking out the electrical things, but that only took about 30 min. The electrical consult wasn't near as exciting as the other one and we weren't buying any electrical upgrades seeing as my dad used to be a master electrician in his hay day. So if we want any add-ons, we will ask him to do it for us later.
I didn't quite know what to expect before we arrived at the design center. All I knew was that I had a design idea in my head that I wanted to go for.
Our design consultant was so nice and helpful. She took us step by step and room by room showing us our choices and giving her opinion only when necessary.
About an hour into it she told us (me) how impressed she was about our (my) decisiveness. I never told her I had a background in design and that I had been planning this moment for YEARS!
The only thing that was tricky for me was that I wish I had more choices in granite and tile colors that  where not considered upgrades. Of course the ONE cabinet color I wanted was an upgrade. We went in there thinking we would not do any upgrades except for adding extra tile to the entry way. We walked out with that, the cabinets I wanted and an extra set of kitchen cabinets for above the refrigerator. I won't be able to reach them, but the extra storage will be nice. For all the add-ons they had to offer, I think we did good.
We go back to the design center Friday to make any changes we might want to make and sign off on all that paperwork.
We also have a couple more meetings with the builder next week. They should be laying down the pipes within the next few weeks and they will be pouring the foundation by the end of May. This should be a fun process and I'm excited to see how the house progresses.


 This is the frame for the mirrors in the master bath, the counter tops for bathrooms and the large tile in the back is going in all wet areas and kitchen back-splash.

This is pretty much everything we picked. The white cabinets, counter tops, and the small rectangular decorative tiles will go in the master bath.

Our brick color

cabinets and a little of the counter tops

decorative tile in bathroom

Fireplace, carpet and a small view of the paint color. I'll get a little more bold once we move in. But I'll do that myself. 

The countertops

1 comment:

  1. Tara I love that our pictures of the design center look very similar with color scheme and all! So fun. it will be so beautiful and cozy!

    ReplyDelete